Senior Fellow (Melbourne Law Masters)
Carroll & O'Dea
Bill Madden holds the position of Special Counsel with Carroll & O'Dea Lawyers. He is a frequent writer and speaker on medical law issues with his particular interests including health & medical law, intentional torts and the application of technology in the practices of medicine and law.
Bill is an editorial board member for two Lexis Nexis publications, Australian Health Law Bulletin and Australian Civil Liability and he is the co-author of three books:
- Health Care & the Law, 6th edition, Thomson Reuters
- Australian Medical Liability, 2nd edition, Lexis Nexis
- The National Disability Scheme Handbook, 1st edition, Lexis Nexis
In addition to his teaching role at Melbourne Law Masters, he is an Adjunct Fellow with the school of law at Western Sydney University and an Adjunct Professor with the Australian Health Law Research Centre at the Queensland University of Technology.
His recent co-authored peer reviewed publications include:
- Conclaves and concurrent expert evidence: a positive development in Australian legal practice? (2016) Medical Journal of Australia 204 (2): 82- 83.
- Adapting to concurrent expert evidence in medical litigation, (2015) 22 Journal of Law & Medicine 610.
- Full compensation no longer sacrosanct: Reflections on the past and future economic loss 'cap' for high income earners. (2012) 20 Torts Law Journal 90.
- Property rights in and entitlement to possession of sperm following death, Journal of Bioethical Inquiry , (2011) Volume 8 Number 4, page 324.
- Liability of hospitals and health care facilities for sexual assaults, Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, (2011) Volume 8 Number 2, page 114.
- Recent Developments: Orders to Submit to Medical Procedures including Genetic Testing, in Litigation: Balancing the Rights, Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, (2011) 8:8-11.
- Proof of causation in informed consent cases: Establishing what the plaintiff would have done, Journal of Law & Medicine, (2010) 18 JLM 320.