Senior Lecturer (Society in Science - Branco Weiss Fellow)
Languages spoken: English, Estonian, Finnish, German (passive)
Rain Liivoja is a Senior Lecturer and Branco Weiss Fellow at Melbourne Law School. He is also an Affiliated Research Fellow of the Erik Castrén Institute of International Law and Human Rights, University of Helsinki.
Rain has published on the law of armed conflict, international criminal law, the law of state jurisdiction, the law of treaties and the regulation of private military contractors. He has taught international law at the Universities of Melbourne, Helsinki and Tartu, as well as the Estonian National Defence College and the Riga Graduate School of Law.
Rain is the book review editor of the Finnish Yearbook of International Law and a member of the editorial boards of several journals. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the International Society for Military Law and the Law of War, chair of the International Peace and Security Interest Group of the Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law, and a member of the Australian Red Cross International Humanitarian Law Committee (Victorian Division). Rain is a Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
Rain holds an undergraduate degree in law from the University of Tartu and masters, licentiate and doctoral degrees in public international law from the University of Helsinki. He has completed a Graduate Certificate in University Teaching at the University of Melbourne.
The Melbourne JD
Melbourne Law Masters
Other Faculty and University Responsibilities
Memberships and Affiliations
- Chair, International Peace and Security Interest Group, Australian and New Zealand Society of International Law
- Member, Board of Directors, International Society for Military Law and the Law of War
- Member, Australian Red Cross (Victorian Division) International Humanitarian Law Committee
- Fellow, Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA)
- Founding Member, Martens Society
- Member, Finnish Society of International Law
- Member, Estonian Academic Law Society
- Member, Hague Rule of Law Network