Take advantage of a wide range of benefits and services available to alumni all over the world.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Gain CPD units through various events and programs offered by MLS.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for Lawyers
Legislation and rules governing the legal profession require all solicitors holding a current Practising Certificate to undertake continuing professional development (CPD) activities.
Legal practitioners complete a minimum of 10 CPD units each CPD year. Of those 10 CPD units, at least one must be in: ethics; practice management; or professional skills.
Melbourne Law School hosts a range of public lectures, seminars and programs that may be counted towards your CPD.
The Melbourne Law Masters program offers single subject studies that are accredited by the Law Institutes of Victoria and New South Wales and the Victorian Bar. Legal practitioners undertaking a course or subject in the Melbourne Law Masters may be eligible to earn CPD points through their study.
Here you'll find all the latest news to keep you updated about the School and your alumni community.
MLS Alumni will receive the monthly newsletter, e-Brief and the bi-annual magazine, MLS News with updates on events you could get involved in, inspiring stories about our students, staff and your fellow alumni, as well as updates on alumni services and benefits.
Exclusive Alumni Events
From reunions and networking receptions to professional seminars, there is a wide range of events for MLS alumni, both in Melbourne and worldwide.
Melbourne Law School runs a range of exclusive events for alumni. These include:
- The MLS Alumni Seminar Series is our flagship alumni engagement program. Each seminar features a prominent guest speaker drawn from our alumni community. Hosted in both Melbourne and Sydney, the Series is a regular fixture in the MLS events calendar. You can find a list of previous speakers and topics here.
- MLS Golden Alumni Reunion – an annual reunion for Law alumni graduated 50 or more years ago.
- International Alumni Receptions – Our Dean and senior academics staff regularly host networking receptions for Law alumni in overseas locations, such as London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, New York and many more.
- Melbourne Law School Gala Dinner – a celebration of the people, traditions and achievements of Melbourne Law School and our alumni community.
Continue Your Learning
Thinking about returning to University? Alumni can take advantage of discounted study opportunities.
Further studies for Alumni
University of Melbourne alumni receive a 20% discount on the standard fee for undergraduate single subject or Community Access Program subjects.
To be eligible, you must be:
- A former student who successfully completed a minimum of 100 credit points over one year of full-time study at the University; or
- A former international student who completed at least one semester of study in a study abroad or exchange program at the University; or
- A former academic or professional staff member who completed a minimum of three years' service with the University; or
- A former University committee member who completed a minimum of three years' service as a member of an official University committee.
This discount also applies to some graduate subjects.
Library Services and eJournals Access for Alumni
Access top academic journals from anywhere in the world.
Library Services for Alumni
Access to eJournals
Alumni can access a range of popular electronic databases which span a wide range of subject areas for a small fee of $22.50 per year.
Alumni can purchase a concession-priced library membership to borrow books and other items. This membership can be used for all University of Melbourne Libraries, including the Law Library.
Organise a Reunion
Let us help you make your reunion a success.
Do you want to hold a reunion?
If you're thinking of organising a reunion, please let us know. We'd love to be involved and can provide some services to help you make your event a success. Our Alumni Team can:
- Provide a class list of alumni in your year
- Contact alumni on your behalf
- Promote your reunion on the Law School website and in the Law e-newsletter
- Put you in contact with available University venues
- Provide advice and support.
Career Services for Alumni
Melbourne Careers Centre offers a range of career services to our alumni.
Career Services for Alumni
MLS Alumni can take advantage of a range of career services and resources, including:
- Access to career resources through Careers Online and Law Online
- Careers Drop in Service with professional Career Consultants (for those graduated within the past 12 months)
- A wide range of Career Events through Careers Online and Law Online.
Other Discounts and Benefits
Take advantage of other alumni discounts and benefits.
Alumni Discounts and Benefits
University of Melbourne Alumni can take advantage of a wide range of discounts. Here are some examples:
- Discounted fitness memberships with MU Sport
- 25% off Melbourne University Publishing titles
- 10% discount on Chinese Language Programs through the Confucius Institute.