I have a question about:
- A course I want to study
- My application
- My JD studies
- My Melbourne Law Masters studies
- My graduate research
Contact the Office for Research (Law)
I have a question about:
- Law Library
Contact the Office for Research (Law)
- Media and communications
- Alumni services
- Making a gift, donation or bequest
185 Pelham Street, Carlton VIC 3053, Australia
Melbourne Law School, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
If you would like to hire a space at the Melbourne Law School, please:
External bookings, including University of Melbourne Departments and Faculties need to be approved by our Deputy Dean. External bookings, including University of Melbourne Departments and Facilities will incur a hire rate. No rooms are to be on sold to external parties without prior permission from the Deputy Dean or School Executive Director.
- Meeting Rooms(view photo)
- Capacity: 10-20
- Some rooms have AV equipment, phone and windows
- Seminar Rooms
- Capacity: 40-60
- Flat-floor, primarily used for teaching - can also be booked outside of class time for meetings, seminars, conferences, etc
- All seminar rooms have AV equipment and windows
- Lecture Theatres (view photo)
- Capacity: 65-85, Room G08 capacity: 145
- Tiered floor, primarily used for teaching - can also be booked outside of class time for meetings, seminars, conferences, etc
- All lecture theatres have AV equipment and some have windows
- Special Spaces
- David P Derham Theatre (Room GM15) - Capacity: 350, largest lecture theatre in the Law Building booked via the University's Venue Management.
- Level 1 Function Space (view photo) - Capacity: 365
Level 1 Function Space
- Ground Floor Function Space (G44) (view photo) - Capacity: 100
Ground Floor Function Space
- Moot Court (Room 538) (view photo) - Capacity: 60
- Boardroom (Level 10) (view photo) - Capacity: 24
Venue Hire Rates 2017
These rates are for the hiring of the venue only. They do not include costs for on-call technical support, building supervision, additional security or equipment, non-standard room set-up or extra cleaning.
- Tier 1 - External Bookings, General Public Rates
G08: Lecture Theatre $960 $640 $1300 $960 Lecture Theatres $530 $370 $800 $530 Seminar Rooms $530 $370 $800 $530 Meeting Rooms $300 $200 $500 $350 Level 10 Boardroom $750 $550 $960 $750 Seminar Room 920 $900 $600 $1000 $800 Moot Court Room $750 $550 $960 $750
- Tier 2 - Bookings to University Departments, Faculties and Student Associations (external to the MLS)
G08: Lecture Theatre $550 $370 $750 $550 Lecture Theatres $320 $220 $430 $320 Seminar Rooms $320 $220 $430 $320 Meeting Rooms $160 $110 $220 $160 Level 10 Boardroom $430 $270 $590 $430 Seminar Room 920 $450 $300 $600 $450 Moot Court Room $430 $270 $590 $430
- Tier 3 – Melbourne Law School Affiliated Bookings
All Melbourne Law School managed rooms are provided free of charge to MLS staff, pending approval from the Deputy Dean or School Executive Director. GM15 is booked via the University's Venue Management and does incur a charge from Venue Management.
No rooms are to be on sold to external parties without prior permission from the Deputy Dean or School Executive Director. No bookings are to be made by MLS staff on behalf of other University of Melbourne or external parties.
Event Support Officer
It is required that a dedicated Event Support Officer be present for all externally organised events and for internally organised events that the general public (non-university staff or students) attend. The Event Support Officer will arrive and unlock the venue(s) prior to the booking and set up the room if required. The Event Support Officer works free of charge during the hours of 7am – 3pm, Monday to Friday. Additional costs apply outside of these hours:
Event Support Weekday Bookings:
- Events finishing by 8pm: $310 + GST
- Events running after 8pm: $310 (until 8pm) + $75 per hour (or part there of) until completion of booking + GST
Weekends, Public Holidays or University Holidays:
- Bookings for 4 hours or less: $270 + GST
- Bookings for 4 hours or more: $355 (for first 5 hours) + $75 per hour (or part there of) until completion of booking + GST
A security guard is present during business hours of the Law School. If a security guard is required outside these hours charges will apply:
- Weekdays: $48.63 per hour (ex GST)
- Saturdays: $62.48 per hour (ex GST)
- Sundays: $76.37 per hour (ex GST)
- Public Holidays: $91.60 per hour (ex GST)
Typical building hours are 7:30am-11pm weekdays and 10am-9pm weekends, however please confirm this prior to the event, as these hours are subject to change at different times of year.
Cleaning costs apply to the cleaning of the venue and surrounding foyer and toilet areas (if applicable). When multiple venues/spaces, are being used for the same booking, a “multiple clean” cost will be negotiated before the booking is confirmed. It should be noted that the costs listed are for the provision of a basic clean (minimum callout fee is three hours’ cleaning time). Should the area being used be left in such a state that additional cleaning or specialised cleaning (ie, carpet steam cleaning) is required then additional costs will apply.
- Weekdays: $113 + GST
- Saturdays: $142 + GST
- Sundays: $185 + GST
- Public Holidays: $226 + GST
All rooms should be left in a clean condition. The Melbourne Law School takes no responsibility for items left in the rooms.
Equipment (Subject to availability)
Trestle tables: $40 per table + 10% GST
- 6 x 2.1m
- 2 x 2.1m
- 4 x 1.9m
Urns: $30 per urn + 10% GST
Audio Visual (AV) Technical Support
All standard theatre and seminar rooms have:
- Data Projection
- Fixed Microphones
- Overhead Projectors
The Law School does not have onsite IT support. Please contact Information Technology Services on (03) 8344 0888 to discuss any IT requirements.
Event Approval Checklist & Pre-Risk Assessment
You will need to complete an Melbourne Law School Event Approval Checklist & Pre Risk Assessment (PDF) and email the completed checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org before your rooms can be confirmed.
Lecture Capture is available for recording lectures in supported venues.