Recognition of Student Academic Excellence
(for those commencing the JD in or after 2008)
- A system for recognising academic excellence exists for all students completing the JD.
- A student's aggregate performance will be calculated on the basis of results in all graded subjects offered by the Law School.
- Each individual student’s statement of performance will be confidential with the placement of only the top 30% of students in each graduating year documented according to the following model:
the top 10 students commended numerically
the remaining students in 5% bands until the 30th percentile is reached.
- Upon request, a student below the 30th percentile may receive a statement as to his or her position in the graduating class.
- Commended students will be notified of their standing by letter from the Melbourne Law School on appropriately watermarked letterhead.
- In general, accelerating students will be included, for these purposes, with the group with which they are completing rather than that with which they commenced. Students included are those that complete in the 12-month period, running from 1 April of their final year of study to 31 March, of the following year. Only students who have completed all subjects, including the finalisation of assessment, will be included.
- This exercise will be conducted once a year in late April and statements mailed shortly after.