Facilities and Services
Melbourne JD classes are located in the purpose-built Law School overlooking historic University Square. The building features modern teaching and IT facilities and a world-class Moot Court. The Law Library, spread over three levels of the Law School, houses one of the best law collections in Australia.
Our award-winning Law Library has one of the best law collections in Australia. In 2009 the Law Research Service, which supports academic research in the Law School, was awarded Australian Law Librarian of the year. The library is located in the Law School building and has purpose-built surroundings with world-class library and computing facilities for teaching, learning and research.
The collections include approximately 180,000 printed volumes, 30,000 volumes in microfiche or microfilm and a comprehensive collection of online databases which can be accessed 24/7 via the web.
JD students have access to the following services:
- Dedicated study space for Melbourne Law School students, available when the Law Building is open
- 11 discussion rooms for group study
- More than 100 computers for students' use
- One-on-one research consultations
- Skills seminars on using electronic research sources
- Reserve collections of subject-related material
- Photocopying, printing and study facilities
- Loans from other libraries in the University's network
- The opportunity to borrow laptop computers
- Plug-in and wireless internet connectivity for student laptops
Student IT Facilities
- Access to the student plug-in network (SPIN) in the seminar rooms
- Access to the wireless network (UniWireless) throughout the building
- A student email account
- Endnote software for the duration of study
- IT training and workshops
The University of Melbourne offers a wide range of services for students.
Lockers are available for student hire on an annual basis via the Law Students' Society.
The Melbourne Law School is located on the city fringe, an easy 15-minute walk from the centre of the city or a short five-minute tram ride. Positioned right next to the inner-city suburb of Carlton, the campus is compact and beautifully landscaped with its 150-year history embodied in its architecture.