Senior Fellow (Melbourne Law Masters)
Nick is an experienced trial advocate, appearing in proceedings in Victoria and interstate. He has appeared in numerous superior court trials and is also regularly retained in significant and complex commercial arbitrations.
Nick has conducted a commercial practice since 1989 when he completed articles with Mallesons. He worked as a solicitor in the Commercial Disputes departments of both Mallesons and Baker & McKenzie (London and Melbourne offices) before coming to the Bar in 1995.
Recent matters of significance include:
- Kakavas v Crown Melbourne Ltd  VSCA 95;
- Texxcon Pty Ltd v Nominexx Pty Ltd  VSC 50;
- Sunland Waterfront (BVI) Ltd v Prudentia Investments Pty Ltd  VSC 239;
- Cosmopolitan Hotel (Vic) Pty Ltd and Fish & Company v Crown Melbourne Ltd  VCAT 225;
- Sunland Waterfront (BVI) Ltd v Prudentia Investments Pty Ltd  VSC 1,  FCAFC 95, (2011) 195 FCR 213,  FCA 221,  FCA 863,  FCA 1512,  FCA 832;
- Texxcon Pty Ltd v Austexx Corp Pty Ltd  VSC 203,  VSC 50
- SMEC Australia Pty Ltd v McConnell Dowell Constructors (Aust) Pty Ltd  VSC 492,  VSC 213;
- Management 3 Group Pty Ltd (in liq) v Lenny's Commercial Kitchens Pty Ltd (No.1)  FCA 662; (No.2)  FCA 663; (No.3)  FCA 725;
- Westgate Ports Pty Ltd v Port of Melbourne Corporation  VSC 331;
- All Saints Estate Pty Ltd v Victorian Alps Wine Company Ltd  VSC 599 (primary proceeding involving Nick's client settled after three days);
- Huntley Management Ltd v Australian Olives Ltd  FCA 579;
- Newnham v Davis  VSC 13;
- Kakavas v Crown Melbourne Ltd  VSCA 102;
- Kakavas v Crown Ltd  VSC 559,  VSC 526;
- Kirby v Centro Properties Ltd  FCA 695;
- Re DKZN and Companies Auditors & Liquidators Disciplinary Board  AATA 313,  AATA 406,  AATA 765;
- Biota v GlaxoSmith Kline (VSC);
- Newtronics v Atco Controls Pty Ltd  VSC 566, (2008) ACSR 317;
- Clough Engineering v Origin Energy Resources ('Chess Clock' Arbitration);
- Orrong Strategies v Village Roadshow Ltd (2007) 207 FLR 245;
- Van Ek Contracting v Roads Corporation  VSC 336;
- Anaconda Operations v Fluor Australia ('Chess Clock' Arbitration);
- Danidale Ltd v Abigroup Contractors  VSC 391.
Nick also has considerable appellate experience, including a number of appearances in the High Court and the Victorian Court of Appeal.