In 2021, CAIDE is offering two scholarships for domestic students to undertake a PhD in a cross-disciplinary subject pertaining to AI and Digital Ethics.
This deadline has been extended - applications are now due Monday 2 August at 9am 2021.
The scholarships will take place in a vibrant collaborative, cross-disciplinary research community at CAIDE. PhD students will be expected to participate in the ongoing work of the centre including research dissemination, events, research collaborations and in some cases, teaching. CAIDE will support and engage with successful scholarship recipients throughout the process, and recipients will also be required to report to CAIDE on their progress.
CAIDE's research programme spans five key themes and applicants are encouraged to undertake research in these areas: Transparent AI, Accountable AI, Privacy and AI, Trustworthy AI and Fairness and AI. Interesting and innovative proposals outside these areas are also encouraged and will be taken under consideration.
To be eligible for the scholarship candidates must:
- have one supervisor from a CAIDE member faculty - Faculty of Engineering and IT, Arts, Science or the Melbourne Law School.
- have a second supervisor from a different faculty (to ensure the PhD is cross-disciplinary by design.)
- be a domestic student in Australia - You're a domestic student if you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident, hold a permanent Australian humanitarian visa or are a New Zealand citizen.
- meet the graduate entry requirements for the University of Melbourne, which is as follows:
- have completed tertiary studies that are at least equivalent to a 4-year honours degree at an Australian university with a minimum result equivalent to a first-class Honours (80%);
- have not completed a PhD previously;
- be able to commence their PhD in 2021
More details on the terms and conditions of graduate research scholarships at the University of Melbourne can be found here.
For further information or to discuss potential supervisors or research ideas please reach out to CAIDE Program Manager, Gabby or reach out to other members of the CAIDE team.