The Centre for AI and Digital Ethics' Summer Research Academy 2021
Applications are now open for the CAIDE 2021 Summer Research Academy.
The Research Academy will provide a forum for participants to:
- share and receive feedback on their research;
- participate in workshops exploring the key issues including focuses on technology, ethics and law, regulation and policy; and
- develop a shared understanding across disciplines and research skills and connections for future cross-disciplinary work.
Due to ongoing COVID restrictions, the Research Academy is scheduled to take place online over four consecutive Thursdays from 18 November – 9 December (1.00-3.00pm).
Participants will also be invited to an in-person gathering in early-2022.
Information for Applicants
The CAIDE Summer Research Academy aims to foster a community of emerging, cross-disciplinary researchers at the University of Melbourne and across Australia.
The Academy is an opportunity for PhDs and Early Career Researchers who:
- are exploring pressing issues and concerns in AI and digital ethics;
- want to develop their cross-disciplinary research skills; and
- want to build connections with researchers in the field.
The Academy will comprise four workshops on the topics of:
- Understanding AI and digital technologies
- The ethics and philosophy of technology and AI
- Law, policy and the regulation of AI
- Cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary research on AI and digital ethics
Each session will include opportunities to meet other researchers in the field (including ECRs and senior academics) and discuss your research and wider issues in your areas of interest.
Places are limited and selection will be by application, with students from the University of Melbourne will be given priority. Priority will be given to new applicants but participants in the 2020 Academy are also welcome to apply.
This academy is limited to those undertaking a PhD or working as Early Career Researchers therefore progress towards or a completed PhD is essential. Those who do not fit this criteria (including master's students and those working in industry) will automatically be ineligible.
If you wish to participate in CAIDE courses please see a full list of CAIDE offerings here.
Participation is free for participants from CAIDE member faculties. The fee for other participants (non-member faculties from the University of Melbourne and external universities) is $75.
To apply please complete this form by 18 October 2021.
Successful applicants will be notified by 27 October 2021.