Melbourne Law School
News and Events
Annual Tax Lectures
- 2019 - "Tax Stability", by The Honour Justice Jennifer Davies, from the Federal Court of Australia. Justice Davies is also a Senior Fellow at the University of Melbourne lecturing in postgraduate courses and is on the board of the International Association of Tax Judges. The lecture, held on Tuesday 29th October, examined the challenges for certainty and consistency in the application of Australia's tax laws posed by the increasingly international commercial environment and changing legislative framework in response to the globalisation of tax policy.
- 2018 - "Fragmentation of Income Tax in the 21st Century: Tax Treaties as Dark Matter", by Professor Peter Harris, from the University of Cambridge. Professor Harris will also be teaching Comparative Corporate Tax (August 2018) in the Melbourne Law Masters. Held on Wednesday 22nd August, the presentation slides can be accessed here.
- 2016 - "Can't tax; won't tax. Some Reflections on Jurisdiction to Impose and Collect Taxes", by Philip Baker QC, barrister at Field Court tax Chambers, Gray's Inn. Mr Baker is also a Senior Fellow at the Melbourne Law School and Visiting Professor at Oxford University. Held on Wednesday 31st August, this lecture is not available.
- 2015 - "Tax Avoidance: A View from the Dark Side", by David Bloom QC, one of Australia's leading silks specialising in revenue and taxation. Mr Bloom spoke on Held on Wednesday 5th August. Please click here for a copy of the speech
- 2014 - "Taxation and the Federal Court: Past, Present and Future", by Chief Justice James Allsop AO, Chief Justice of the Federal Court of Australia. Chief Justice Allsop spoke on. Held on Tuesday 5th August, this lecture is not available.
- 2013 - "The Law of Contracts, Companies and Trusts as Criteria for Tax Liability", by Professor William Gummow AC, former Justice of the High Court of Australia. Held on Thursday 12th September, please click here for a copy of the speech. Professor Gummow's lecture is also at (2014) 37(3) Melbourne University Law Review 334.
- 2012 - "The Commonwealth's taxing powers and its limits - Are we there yet?", by the Hon Justice Michelle Gordon of the Federal Court of Australia. Held on Wednesday 29th August, please click here for a copy of the speech. Justice Gordon's lecture is at (2013) 36(3) Melbourne University Law Review 1038.
- 2011 - "International Tax Policy: A Current View from the United States", by Professor David Rosenbloom of New York University. Held on Wednesday 3rd August, please click here for a copy of the speech. This lecture is now published at is (2012) 41 ATRev 126.
- 2010 - Annual Tax Lecture by the Hon. Justice Richard Edmonds from the Federal Court of Australia. Held on Tuesday 17th August, please click here for a copy of the speech. Justice Edmonds' lecture is published in (2011) 35(1) Melbourne University Law Review 236.
- 2009 - "Tax Uncertainty" by the Hon. Justice Tony Pagone, of the Supreme Court of VictoriaHeld on Thursday 20th August, please click here for a copy of the speech. Justice Pagone's paper was published in (2009) (33) Melbourne University Law Review pp 886-906.
- 2008 - "Sham in Tax Law After Raftland Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation", by the Hon. Justice Michael Kirby, of the High Court of Australia. This paper was published in the Melbourne University Law Review. Citation: The Hon. Justice Michael Kirby AC CMG, 'Of 'Sham' and Other Lessons for Australian Revenue Law' (2008) (32) Melbourne University Law Review pp 868-871. To download a copy of the paper, click here.
- 2007 - "Managing Tax Avoidance: Recent UK Experience" by Professor John Tiley CBE of the University of Cambridge. A copy of his lecture is available for download here.
- 2006 - "The Historical Significance of the High Court's decision in Federal Commissioner of Taxation v Myer Emporium", by the Hon. Justice Neil Young of the Federal Court presented a paper titled . This paper is published in the Melbourne University Law Review. Citation: Neil J Young, 'The Historical Significance of the High Court's Decision inFederal Commisioner of Taxation v The Myer Emporium Ltd' (2007) (31) Melbourne University Law Review 266. To download a copy of the published paper, click here.
- 2005 - "Tax Avoidance and the High Court since Sir Garfield Barwick", by Allan Myers QC, one of Australia's most eminent barristers. This lecture is available for download here.