The construction law program has been tailored to give construction lawyers and professionals in building, construction, engineering and associated industries the legal knowledge to take the next step in their careers.
Working with lecturers who are leaders in their fields, and fellow students from Australia and around the world, students have a unique opportunity to gain a thorough understanding of this specialised area of law and its interaction with the commerce and practice of the industry.
Construction projects are complex, risky and impact upon the lives of every member of our community. Industry professionals and their lawyers need to have a detailed, integrated understanding of the legal landscape in which construction projects are executed. Melbourne Law School’s construction law program has been designed from the ground up to provide and enhance your understanding of these issues, no matter what level of experience you bring to our classrooms. Our lecturers are renowned expert navigators of the landscape, and our breadth and depth of subject choices is unrivalled anywhere in the world.
- Dr Matthew Bell, Co-Director of Studies
- Wayne Jocic, Co-Director of Studies
Constructing a bright future: An international student’s perspective on Construction Law at Melbourne
After completing most of her Melbourne Law Master’s in Construction Law online during the pandemic, Kenyan international student Yvonne Getugi jumped at the opportunity to visit Australia for the first time to finish the last two months of her course, meet her lecturers in person, and explore what Melbourne has to offer.
Construction Law study options
- Master of Construction Law
- Graduate Diploma in Construction Law
- Single subject study
Subjects in the Melbourne Law Masters are available as single subject enrolments, either with or without assessment.
- Master of Laws (LLM)
- Graduate Diploma in Laws
Student published articles
Based on research undertaken by construction law students at Melbourne Law School
Construction Law research resources
Our students have access to a wealth of construction law texts, journals and other materials.
Read our report on the health of the Australian construction industry.
- The Hon Mr David Byrne QC, Former Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- David Bennett QC, Melbourne Law School (Chair)
- John Baartz, Queensland Bar
- Professor Ian Bailey SC, New South Wales Bar
- Professor Alan Bradley, Engineers Australia
- Dr Collette Burke, Exner Group and Chief Engineer of Victoria
- The Hon Justice John Digby, Supreme Court of Victoria
- Professor Colin Duffield, Melbourne School of Engineering, University of Melbourne
- James Forrest, King & Wood Mallesons
- Tony Holland, PwC
- Professor Doug Jones AO RFD, Professorial Fellow
- David Robinson
- Professor John Sharkey AM, Sharkey Consulting
- Peter Southwell, PS Projects
- Professor Paolo Tombesi, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne
- David Ulbrick, Pinsent Masons
- Associate Professor Peter Williams AM, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne