I have a question about:
- A course I want to study
- My current application
- My JD studies
- My Melbourne Law Masters studies
- My graduate research
Contact the Office for Research (Law)
I have a question about:
- Law Library
Contact the Office for Research (Law)
- Media and communications
- Alumni relations
- Employing a law student
185 Pelham Street, Carlton VIC 3053, Australia
Melbourne Law School, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
If you would like to hire a space at the Melbourne Law School, please:
External bookings, including University of Melbourne Departments and Faculties need to be approved by our Deputy Dean. External bookings, including University of Melbourne Departments and Facilities will incur a hire rate. No rooms are to be on sold to external parties without prior permission from the Deputy Dean or School Executive Director.
- Meeting Rooms
- Capacity: 8-25
- Some rooms have AV equipment, phone and windows
- Seminar Rooms
- Capacity: 30-70
- Flat-floor, primarily used for teaching - can also be booked outside of class time for meetings, seminars, conferences, etc
- All seminar rooms have AV equipment and windows
- Lecture Theatres (view photo)
- Capacity: 60-84, Room G08 capacity: 145
- Tiered floor, primarily used for teaching - can also be booked outside of class time for meetings, seminars, conferences, etc
- All lecture theatres have AV equipment, and some have windows
- Special Spaces
- David P Derham Theatre (Room GM15) - Capacity: 350, largest lecture theatre in the Law Building booked via the University's Venue Management.
- Level 1 Function Space (view photo) - Capacity: 365
Level 1 Function Space
This space cannot be exclusively booked. It is a major thoroughfare with main stairways for the building at each end. Students use the area for studying and there will be traffic in and out of the nearby lecture theatres.
- Ground Floor Function Space (G44) (view photo) - Capacity: 100
Ground Floor Function Space
This space cannot be exclusively booked. It is the main building entrance on the western side with a large stairway leading from this area. Students use the area for studying and there will be traffic in and out of the building and nearby lecture theatres.
- Moot Court (Room 538) (view photo) - Capacity: 60
- Boardroom (Level 10) (view photo) - Capacity: 25
Venue Hire Rates 2019
These rates are for the hiring of the venue only. They do not include costs for on-call technical support, building supervision, additional security or equipment, non-standard room set-up or extra cleaning.
- Tier 1 - External Bookings, General Public Rates
G08: Lecture Theatre $980 $650 $1330 $980 Lecture Theatres $540 $380 $820 $540 Seminar Rooms $540 $380 $820 $540 Meeting Rooms $310 $210 $510 $360 Level 10 Boardroom $770 $560 $980 $770 Seminar Room 920 $920 $610 $1020 $820 Moot Court Room $770 $560 $980 $770 Melbourne School of Government Terrace Lounge (Walter Boas building) $430 $290 $600 $420 Melbourne School of Government Lower Ground Seminar Room (Walter Boas building) $310 $210 $510 $360
- Tier 2 - Bookings to University Departments, Faculties and Student Associations (external to the MLS)
G08: Lecture Theatre $560 $380 $770 $560 Lecture Theatres $330 $230 $440 $330 Seminar Rooms $330 $230 $440 $330 Meeting Rooms $170 $120 $230 $170 Level 10 Boardroom $440 $280 $600 $440 Seminar Room 920 $460 $310 $610 $460 Moot Court Room $440 $280 $600 $440 Melbourne School of Government Terrace Lounge (Walter Boas building) $250 $150 $400 $300 Melbourne School of Government Lower Ground Seminar Room (Walter Boas building) $170 $120 $230 $170
- Tier 3 – Melbourne Law School Affiliated Bookings
All Melbourne Law School managed rooms are provided free of charge to MLS staff, pending approval from the Deputy Dean or School Executive Director. GM15 is booked via the University's Venue Management and does incur a charge from Venue Management.
No rooms are to be on sold to external parties without prior permission from the Deputy Dean or School Executive Director. No bookings are to be made by MLS staff on behalf of other University of Melbourne or external parties.
Event Support Officer
It is required that a dedicated Event Support Officer be present for all externally organised events and for internally organised events that the general public (non-university staff or students) attend. The Event Support Officer will arrive and unlock the venue(s) prior to the booking and set up the room if required. The Event Support Officer will be scheduled for 30 minutes prior to the event to help with setup, and 30 minutes after the event for packing down.
There is a minimum cost of three hours on weekdays that are not public holidays, and four hours on public holidays and weekends.
|Event Support Officer||Per hour or part thereof|
The assigned Event Support Officer will be the point of contact prior to and during the event. The Event Support Officer will remain at the venue during the event and can assist with:
- Receiving deliveries prior to the event
- Bump-in and bump-out, include unlocking and securing the venues
- HVAC and maintenance issues with the venue
- Venue setup/reset
- Organising trestle tables, panels and/or stackable chairs.
All Event Support Officers are First Aid trained and can also assist with emergency evacuations.
Cleaning costs apply for the cleaning of the venue and surrounding foyer and toilet areas (if applicable). When multiple venues/spaces, are being used for the same booking, a “multiple clean” cost will be negotiated before the booking is confirmed. It should be noted that the costs listed are for the provision of a basic clean (minimum call out fee is three hours’ cleaning time). Should the booked area be left in such a state that additional cleaning or specialised cleaning (ie carpet steam cleaning) is required then additional costs will apply.
Pricing does not include GST, and may be higher for events after 30 June 2019:
- Weekdays between 6am and 6pm: $128.04 ($32.01 per hour)
- Weekdays between 6pm and 6am: $144.04 ($36.01 per hour)
- Saturdays: $181.36 ($45.34 per hour)
- Sundays: $234.64 ($58.66 per hour)
- Public Holidays: $287.96 ($71.99 per hour)
All rooms should be left in a clean condition. The Melbourne Law School takes no responsibility for items left in the rooms.
Equipment (Subject to availability)
Trestle tables can be ordered by the Event Support officer for external organisations. Student groups and University staff can order them through Unimelb Support. A Themis code is required to complete the order.
Audio Visual (AV) Technical Support
All standard theatre and seminar rooms have:
- Data Projector
- DVD drive
- Document Camera
- Fixed Microphone
- Most lecture spaces will have a wireless lapel microphone.
If you have AV or computer issues on the day of your event, you can contact Learning space support at (03) 8344 0777 from 7:30am to 7:30pm, Monday to Friday. Limited support is available on weekends from 9am to 5pm.
If you wish to have a technician in attendance, we can put in a request for you, and obtain a quote. Minimum charges would apply, and weekend and holiday rates will be higher.
Event Approval Checklist & Pre-Risk Assessment
You will need to complete an Melbourne Law School Event Approval Checklist & Pre Risk Assessment (PDF) and email the completed checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org before your rooms can be confirmed.
Lecture Capture is available for recording lectures in supported venues. Lecture Capture requests require three weeks notice.