Single subjects for foreign law degree holders

Note: Only available to applicants with foreign law degrees. For other Single Subject Study options, view our Melbourne Law Masters or Breadth options.


If you wish to practise law in Australia and hold a foreign law degree, you will need to contact an Australian Legal Admissions Board in order to be assessed for suitability to practise law in Australia.

In the state of Victoria, Victorian Legal Admissions Board (VLAB) is the governing body who determines admission to practise. VLAB may require overseas practitioners to undertake one or more of the 'Priestley 11' subjects which are a requirement for all lawyers to practise in Australia.

Melbourne Law School is one of eight universities that have been approved by VLAB to provide academic law courses, including the 'Priestley 11'. Eligible candidates enrol in the relevant subjects at the University of Melbourne via the Community Access Program (CAP)/Single Subject Study.

For more information about VLAB, and how to practice law in Australia as an overseas lawyer, read the Information for Foreign Lawyers page on VLAB or the MLS page on how to practise law in Australia.

Steps to Practising Law

Entry requirements

  • Hold a degree in law (LLB, JD or equivalent) leading to admission to practice. Must have been completed outside Australia
  • Have an academic average of 70% (or equivalent)
  • Have a skills assessment statement from VLAB or the legal admissions board of another Australian state

International applicants

Note: It is not possible to obtain a study visa on the basis of the Community Access Program (CAP)/Single Subject Study.

If you do not hold Australian Citizenship or Permanent Residency, your ability to study is conditional upon having an appropriate visa. For more information, visit the Department of Home Affairs.

What will I study?

The 'Priestley 11' subjects are taught as part of the Melbourne JD. As Board-prescribed requirements of legal knowledge are sometimes taught across two or more JD subjects, you may be required to complete multiple subjects to fulfil the requirements determined by the Board.


View single subject fees for graduate study

Note: Fees vary depending on year of study and area of study. Ensure you reference the year in which the study will take place under "Law" fees.


Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia may access FEE-HELP if they meet the eligibility criteria for FEE-HELP for bridging studies.

Application checklist

Apply now

Start your online application

Have a question?
Submit an enquiry