Learn about the Charter.
The Centre for Comparative Constitutional Studies has been heavily involved in the process leading to the enactment of the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities. Members of the Centre made submissions to the Human Rights Consultation Process, were involved in the Consultation
Process' expert roundtable, and have acted as consultants to government in the drafting and implementation phases.
This site provides information and links to the key resources on the Victorian Charter, in the hope that it will assist public awareness and knowledge about the Charter. It inlcudes:
- Primary documents, including the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 and the parliamentary records leading to its enactment; and
- Other resources, including resources on the ACT Human Rights Act.
- Second Reading Debate in the Legislative Council 20 July 2006 (Hon. C. A. Strong)
- Second Reading Debate in the Legislative Council 20 July 2006 (Mr Scheffer)
- Second Reading Speech in the Legislative Council 19 July 2006 (Hon. Justin Madden)
- Second Reading Debate in the Legislative Assembly 15 June 2006 (Ms Duncan)
- Second Reading Debate in the Legislative Assembly 13 June 2006 (Mr McIntosh)
- Second Reading Speech in the Legislative Assembly 4 May 2006 (Hon. Rob Hulls)
Human Rights Consultation Committee Report
Submissions to the Human Rights Consultation Committee
- To access other submissions by individuals and organisations electronically, visit the Law Institute of Victoria website.
- For submissions not available online, contact the Human Rights Unit of the Department of Justice, Victoria.
- Victorian Department of Justice: Human Rights in the Community
- Equal Opportunity Commission Victoria
- Human Rights Law Resource Centre Victoria
- Monash University Castan Centre for Human Rights Law
- Deakin University Centre for Citizenship and Human Rights
- Liberty Victoria
- Human Rights and Equal Opportunities Commission
- Parliamentary Library links to Civil and Human rights resources
- Human Rights Act New Matilda Campaign
- Human Rights Council of Australia
- Australian National University ACT Human Rights Research Project
- University of New South Wales Australian Human Rights Centre
- Gilbert and Tobin Centre of Public Law UNSW