Associate Professor Andrew Godwin
Phone number +61 (3) 8344 1030 Email email@example.com Find an Expert Find an Expert
Andrew Godwin holds a number of senior positions at Melbourne Law School: Associate Professor, Director of Transactional Law, Director of the Graduate Program in Banking and Finance Law, and Associate Director of the Asian Law Centre.
Andrew has been involved in legal practice for over 20 years, 10 of which were spent in Shanghai where he was a partner and chief representative of the international law firm, Linklaters. During his time in practice, Andrew acted for commercial and investment banks in a wide range of finance transactions and was also actively involved with financial institutions and multinational companies in the area of cross-border merger and acquisition projects.
Andrew's teaching and research interests include finance and insolvency law, transactional law, financial regulation (particularly disclosure and regulatory systems), the regulation of the legal profession and professional and transactional skills for lawyers. Andrew is the author of a critically acclaimed bilingual book that examines Chinese and English legal terminology and concepts: China Lexicon. He is also a regular contributor to academic and professional publications and consults extensively in the areas of professional training, risk and compliance issues concerning law firms and legal practice, contract drafting and the use of plain language techniques.
Other School and University responsibilities
- Associate Director (Asian Commercial Law), Asian Law Centre
- Director Transactional Law, Melbourne Law School
- Director, Graduate Program in Banking and Finance Law, Melbourne Law School
Memberships and affiliations
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria (admitted 1993)
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales (admitted 1997)
- Member of Panel of Foreign Arbitrators, Shanghai International Arbitration Center