Jeannie Marie Paterson is a Professor of Law and Co-Director the Centre for AI and Digital Ethics (CAIDE) at the University of Melbourne. Her research covers consumer protection, consumer credit, product liability law, and data protection law, with a focus on the ethics, law and regulation of new digital technologies. She teaches subjects on these topics at the undergraduate, Juris Doctor and postgraduate level.
Jeannie holds a current legal practising certificate and regularly consults to not for profits, government and industry.
Jeannie is an affiliate researcher with the Melbourne Social Equity Institute and the Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision Making and Society. Jeannie is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Law.
Other School and University Responsibilities
- Co-Director of the Centre for AI and Digital Ethics at MLS
- Co-leader of the Digital Equity Research Program at the Melbourne Social Equity Institute
- Melbourne Connect Academic Advisory Committee
- Centre for Mindfulness Advisory Committee
- Centre for Data Science Advisory Committee
- MDAP Advisory Panel
Memberships and Affiliations
- Fellow – Australian Academy of Law
- Assuring Responsibility for Trusted Autonomous Systems Project at the University of York – Academic Advisory Panel
- Australian Journal of Business Law – Academic Editor (Consumer Protection)
- Australian Payments Network - Advisory Panel
- Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision Making and Society – Affiliate Researcher
- Consumer Policy Research Centre – Expert Advisory Panel
- Cyber Security Cooperative Research Centre – Academic Advisory Panel
- Data & Policy Journal (Cambridge) - Area Lead Editor
- Journal for Law, Technology and Humans- Academic Editor
- Minderoo Tech and Policy Lab (UWA) – Academic Advisory Panel
The Melbourne JD
Melbourne Law Masters