Australia’s declarations recognising as compulsory the jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice
Australia has submitted five declarations recognising the compulsory jurisdiction of the Court. Australia made its first declaration on 20 September 1929 in relation to the Permanent Court of International Justice (PCIJ), the international court attached to the League of Nations. Australia’s original declaration was replaced by a new declaration on 21 August 1940. When the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, began work in April 1946, Australia was still bound by its declaration accepting the compulsory jurisdiction of the PCIJ. Australia submitted a new declaration recognising the compulsory jurisdiction of the ICJ on 6 February 1954. A further declaration was made on 17 March 1975. Its most recent declaration has been in force since 22 March 2002.