Course Transfers and Early Exit Awards

About Course Transfers

It is possible for students to transfer between a related degree, certificate or diploma depending on subject choice, previous qualifications and grades obtained. Students wanting to transfer from a Masters to a related Specialist Certificate or Graduate Diploma may apply for an Early Exit Award once they have completed their second subject (for a Specialist Certificate) or fourth subject (for a Graduate Diploma).

Eligibility requirements

Applications to transfer are considered on a case-by-case basis. Students must meet the entry requirements for the new course, and in most cases, will only be allowed to transfer after completing a minimum of 25 points (two standard subjects) with a WAM of at least 65% and no fail grades. If you do not meet this requirement, you may still apply and the submission will be considered.

Student Visa holders - It may not be possible to transfer from a Graduate Diploma to a Masters (or vice versa).

Note for Graduate Diploma students who are transferring to a Masters and don’t have a law degree from a common law jurisdiction:

If you have already completed the two-day preliminary subject Australian Legal Process and Legal Institutions you may apply for an exemption for Fundamentals of the Common Law (LAWS70217) due to similar content. To be eligible to apply for this exemption, you must have final results in at least three out of the four subjects required for your Graduate Diploma. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis. To apply, email

How does transferring work?

The course a student transfers from is discontinued. The student is then usually offered a place in the new course and requested to accept the offer. Approved subjects undertaken within the old course are credited as exempt advanced standing to the new course. Students must complete the enrolment requirements for newly enrolled students.

How will it affect my fees?

By transferring courses a candidate's enrolment in the new course is treated as a new enrolment. Candidates therefore come under the fee structure for the current year.

For further information, students should refer to tuition fees at the University.

Apply for a Course Transfer

Please apply as current or previous student/applicant. You will be required to upload a CV as well as transcripts of any study completed outside the University of Melbourne. If applying to transfer from one MLM course to another, you will be automatically assessed for advanced standing.

Apply now

If you have any questions about the transfer process, please submit your enquiry using the below form.

Enquire now