The Melbourne JD (Juris Doctor)

Information for Canadian students

Ranked number one in Australia and eleventh worldwide, Melbourne Law School is a leader in legal education, and a vibrant place of learning that values ideas, excellence and intellectual exchange.*

*(Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings by Subject, 2021)

The Melbourne JD (Juris Doctor)

Taught at a graduate level, the JD equips graduates to take a leading role in legal practice, the private sector, government or community organizations. The curriculum allows you to build the core skills essential to a wide range of legal and professional careers. It also gives you the opportunity to pursue areas of interest through elective subjects including international and human rights law, corporate law, environmental law, cybersecurity and technology.

The JD is an internationally recognized degree and can be used as a basis for seeking admission to practice law in Australia and many international jurisdictions, including Canada.

Find out more

JD students in law school
Matt, Canadian JD student

Matt, from Ottawa, commenced the Juris Doctor in 2019 after completing his undergraduate degree at Carleton University in Ontario, Canada.

I was surprised by the effort made by the professors to engage with you and the support they are willing to offer to ensure your success in the program. If you're thinking of applying for the Melbourne Juris Doctor prepare yourself for one of the most fulfilling programs of your life.

Matt, Melbourne JD student

Frequently asked questions

  • Entry requirements

    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Melbourne Law School will not be using the LSAT as part of the JD selection criteria for the 2022 intake. Your application will be based on all tertiary results (complete and incomplete degrees). We will review whether to use the LSAT as part of the selection criteria for the 2023 intake later this year.

    For further information please visit our admission FAQs.

    We encourage you to sign up for our Future Law newsletter to receive updates and reminders.

    Applicants to the JD must hold an undergraduate degree in any discipline other than law or a law degree from an overseas jurisdiction.

    Unlike other law schools, personal statements, interviews, references, work experience and extracurricular activities are not considered in the admission process.

    What score do I need?

    The selection committee looks at a wide range of factors in assessing your previous tertiary results; for example, whether your marks are on an upward or downward trajectory and whether you have undertaken graduate studies. We are unable to advise the score required as this is determined once the application deadline has passed and all applications are ranked by our selection committee. Your application will be assessed against those that are applying for the same intake as you.

    Melbourne JD entry requirements

  • How do I apply?

    In Australia, first semester runs from February to the end of June and second semester runs from July to the end of November. The Melbourne JD commences in early February each year and there is no semester two intake.

    Applications are accepted between March and October for commencement in February of the following year. Applicants will be notified of an outcome within four to six weeks provided a complete application is submitted. Applications should be submitted directly to the University of Melbourne, but you can note on your application if LSAT results and academic transcripts have been submitted via LSAC.

    You can apply on your own or use the services of OzTREKK, the University's authorized education agent in Canada.

    There is an application fee of AUD$100 for the JD.

    Applying to the Melbourne JD

  • What are the tuition fees?

    The annual tuition is approximately AU$42,500+ (approximately CAD$40,000 per annum), making it affordable to access one of best law schools in the world.

    Canadian citizens wishing to study at The University of Melbourne can access a range of student financial aid delivered through federal and provincial student loans.

    For further information visit Canadian Financial Aid

    Other information:

    Melbourne JD fees

  • Can I practice in Canada with the Melbourne JD?

    The Melbourne JD is an internationally recognized degree and can be used as a basis for seeking admission to practice law in many international jurisdictions, including Canada.

    To practice law in Canada, all lawyers—foreign or domestic—must be admitted to the bar association of the province in which they wish to practice. Nine of the 10 provinces in Canada are common law jurisdictions, while the Province of Quebec is a civil law jurisdiction. Foreign lawyers may register in any of the 10 provinces as a foreign legal consultant (FLC). Australian lawyers wishing to practice Canadian Law must apply to the National Committee on Accreditation (or Barreau du Québec's Equivalences Committee for practicing in Québec) for an evaluation of their legal credentials. They must then determine the province in which they wish to practice law and meet additional requirements established by that province.

    Legal professional representative bodies:

  • How do I practice law in Australia?

    In order to practice as a lawyer in Victoria, you will need to undertake Practical Legal Training (PLT) for 6–12 months with a PLT provider or supervised legal training, usually in the form of a one-year traineeship with a law firm after completing the Melbourne JD.

    A candidate then must be admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of an Australian state or territory, and then obtain a practicing certificate, generally issued by the local legal professional body.

    There are visas available for international students who graduate from an Australian institution to live, work and study in Australia for between two and four years.

More about the student experience

Studying in Australia

You must be accepted and enrolled into a program before you can apply for a student visa to study in Australia. There are visas available that allow students to travel in and out of Australia and work up to 40 hours every two weeks once your course starts. Visa applications can be done entirely online.

To comply with student visa requirements set by the Australian Department of Home Affairs, international students must arrange visa-length Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), which you must maintain while studying in Australia. You are usually required to arrange and purchase this at the same time as accepting your course offer. The University can arrange visa-length OSHC on your behalf with Bupa, the University’s preferred provider.

Explore visa options

Moving to Melbourne

The University is approximately a 15-minute walk from the center of Melbourne, a city renowned as an exciting and vibrant hub of cultural, social and sporting life. Melbourne is consistently voted as one of the world's most liveable cities. With friendly locals and a thriving multicultural community, you will feel instantly at home here.


There is a range of student accommodation options available. Choices range from dedicated University owned and partnered accommodation, to traditional residential colleges. Many JD students choose to live in off-campus housing including private rentals or sharehouses.

The University of Melbourne's student housing website has extensive information on finding accommodation, tenancy advice and support services. The general rule is the closer to the city you are, the more expensive it is to rent.

Residential colleges

A number of residential colleges offer dedicated graduate spaces and additional academic support, with an opportunity to connect with other grads from across the university. University of Melbourne colleges that specialize in graduate accommodation include

Study the Melbourne JD

Apply now

Have a question?

Submit an enquiry