Construction projects are complex, risky and impact upon the lives of every member of our community. Industry professionals and their lawyers need to have a detailed, integrated understanding of the legal landscape in which construction projects are executed. Melbourne Law School’s construction law program has been designed from the ground up to provide and enhance your understanding of these issues, no matter what level of experience you bring to our classrooms. Our lecturers are renowned expert navigators of the landscape, and our breadth and depth of subject choices is unrivalled anywhere in the world.
The construction law program has been tailored to give construction lawyers and professionals in building, construction, engineering and associated industries the legal knowledge to take the next step in their careers. Working with lecturers who are leaders in their fields, and fellow students from Australia and around the world, students have a unique opportunity to gain a thorough understanding of this specialised area of law and its interaction with the commerce and practice of the industry.
I would say that that the construction law academics I have had the opportunity to study and work with are the most inspirational - Professor John Sharkey, Mr Matthew Bell and Mr Wayne Jocic. Rami Marginean, Master of Construction Law
Construction Law study options
- Master of Construction Law
- Graduate Diploma in Construction Law
- Single subjects
Subjects in the Melbourne Law Masters are available as single subject enrolments, either with or without assessment.
Construction Law Subject Selection Guide:
- The Hon Mr David Byrne QC, Former Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Mr David Bennett QC, Melbourne Law School (Chair)
- Mr John Baartz, Queensland Bar
- Professor Ian Bailey SC, New South Wales Bar
- Professor Alan Bradley, Engineers Australia
- Dr Collette Burke, Exner Group and Chief Engineer of Victoria
- Mr Peter Crone, Peter Crone Architects
- The Hon Justice John Digby, Supreme Court of Victoria
- Professor Colin Duffield, Melbourne School of Engineering, University of Melbourne
- Mr James Forrest, King & Wood Mallesons
- Mr Tony Holland, PwC
- Professor Doug Jones AO RFD, Professorial Fellow
- Mr Matthew Kandelaars, Property Council of Australia
- Mr David Robinson
- Professor John Sharkey AM, Sharkey Consulting
- Mr Peter Southwell, PS Projects
- Professor Paolo Tombesi, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne
- Mr David Ulbrick, HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
- Associate Professor Peter Williams, Melbourne School of Design, University of Melbourne
- Professor David Young, Melbourne School of Engineering, University of Melbourne
Standard forms research report
Read our report into the use of standard forms of contract in the Australian construction industry.