Outline of the organisation
The International Service for Human Rights (ISHR) is an independent, non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting and protecting human rights. ISHR works to support human rights defenders, strengthen human rights systems, and lead and participate in coalitions for human rights change.
ISHR recruits throughout the year in both its Geneva and New York offices.
(1) ISHR Programme internships, Geneva
The ISHR Programme internships offer a unique opportunity to view the UN human rights system at work in Geneva. Programme internships are unpaid and last three to four months, commencing in either January/February or April/May each year.
Interns will be involved in:
- assisting with ISHR’s training and advocacy support to human rights defenders and networks globally;
- providing support to the key programme staff in the implementation of project activities, across ISHR’s strategic programme areas;
- contributing to ISHR’s outreach and communications, including regular online publications; and
- monitoring and reporting on UN human rights meetings, including the Human Rights Council, treaty body sessions and Universal Periodic Review.
(2) Operations teams internships
In addition to the internships available with the Programme team in Geneva, ISHR offers both full- and part-time internships with the various Operations teams (Communications, Fundraising, Administration and Finance).
- be an advanced undergraduate student or graduate student in international relations, law, human rights or a related field;
- be motivated to pursue a career in human rights and have a particular interest in the UN human rights system;
- have an excellent level of written and spoken English
- be detail-oriented and attentive to nuance, in particular in diplomatic environments;
- be motivated, autonomous and a self-starter, and comfortable occasionally working with limited supervision; and
- be able to work as a member of an international and multicultural team and willing to participate in a variety of tasks, as required.
Applications should be submitted online. Further information is available here.