White Noise - Episode 4: A state where equality is non-negotiable with LGBTIQ+ Communities Commissioner, Dr Todd Fernando.
Show Notes - Episode Four – A state where equality is non-negotiable with LGBTQI+ Communities Commissioner, Dr Todd Fernando.
We are delighted to share our conversation with Dr Todd Fernando, Victorian Commissioner for LGBTQI+ Communities, whose role is to advocate for the rights, safety and wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse, intersex and queer communities. Todd is a Wiradjuri man, with a background as an academic researcher and teacher at the University of Melbourne.
This podcast was recorded on Wurundjeri Country at the MLS Digital Studio.
The White Noise podcast is hosted by Jaynaya Dwyer, Research Fellow at the Indigenous Law and Justice Hub. Thanks to Eddie Cubillo (Larrakia, Wadjigan and Central Arrente) and Kieran Akula for their assistance with the production of this episode.
The soundtrack, White Noise, is written and performed by John Wayne Parsons (Yuggerabul Meriam Le). We are grateful to John Wayne for lending his voice to this program.
Our sincere to the staff of the MLS digital studio for the production of this podcast:
- Greta Robenstone – production
- Ben Chandler – Sound Mixing
Download the full transcript of this episode.
To send feedback on this episode or to make inquiries about the White Noise podcast please contact email@example.com
Note on content and getting support
This episode addresses challenging themes associated with experiences of discrimination, including LBGTQI+ and Indigenous suicide.
If you would like to seek support from a trained professional you can contact the following resources:
- For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, you can contact Yarning Safe and Strong 24/7 for confidential support
Call 1800 959 563
- LGBTIQA+ people can contact Switchboard Qlife for counselling, information and referral
1800 184 527 or online chat (3pm to 12am, every day)
- Anyone can contact Lifeline, which provides a free counselling services
13 11 14 (24 hours, every day)
Text 0477 131 114 (24 hours, every day
Lifeline online crisis chat (from 7pm to midnight, 7 nights)
More information on the episode
Todd spoke about his work under the Pride in our future: Victoria’s LGBTIQ+ strategy 2022-32. You can also read the Victorian Government’s LGBTQI+ Communities inclusive language guidelines.
During this conversation we discussed the Coroner’s Court of Victoria’s 2022 report on Suicide in LGBTIQ+ people in Victoria, and the CHARLEE suicide prevention hub operated by Switchboard LGBTQI+ Lived Experience Network, which includes supports, resources and research.
We also spoke about an article that Todd published in Pursuit Magazine in May 2022, titled ‘Embracing queer Indigenous Australia: Health services need to cater to the whole person as a human right, and that includes Indigenous LGBTIQ+ Australians.’
White Noise podcast episodes
- Episode One – The ATSIC Chronicles: reflections from the journey and lessons for the Voice
- Episode Two – Reimagining Royal Commissions: giving up power with Yoorrook Commissioner Sue-Anne Hunter
- Episode Three - One Whānau (family) and Two PhDs, Ethyl & Erin's Haerenga (journey) so far with Ethyl Renata and Erin Roxburgh Makea
- Episode Four - A state where equality is non-negotiable with LGBTIQ+ Communities Commissioner, Dr Todd Fernando.
- Episode Five - A Masterclass in Lawyering with Judge David Woodroffe